Monday, June 7, 2010

Mow, Mow, Mow your Grass....



Today I mowed my grass for the first time--EVER!! I've never had to mow, I grew up with a dad and two brothers that mowed the grass. Then I married Neal, who takes great pride in his yard. He mows it weekly, sometimes bi-weekly depending on the rainfall/grass growth. It never occurred to me that I should be mowing too. It was just Neal's job, just like the bathroom and the gardening. 
Tonight was one of those nights that could be totally stressful and lead to both of us blowing up at the other one over something like not getting a fork for one of the girls for dinner. Neal had to get the grass mowed before dinner, because after dinner he was starting his week-long motorcycle class.
So, I thought I'd be pro-active. I had dinner cooking (meatloaf and oven roasted potatoes) and the timer set. I changed Charlotte's diaper and got both girls dressed to go outside. The girls went outside to play and I went outside to find Neal. He was supposed to be mowing our grass. Instead he was bending over the garden fretting about the weeds/plants that needed thinning and not having any time to do it. I told him I was going to mow. Remember, I have never mowed in my life. He looked at me like he couldn't believe what I said. So, I said it again. I explained to him that he had to leave after dinner for his motorcycle class, and I could see that he really needed/wanted to fix the garden just as much as he really needed to complete the yard. So, I was going to mow the grass for him. Dinner was in the oven, so I had 45 minutes to work on the yard. 
After Neal showed me how to start the mower, I was off.


I pushed that mower up and down the yard, checking my timer to make sure I didn't burn dinner. Of course I had to get a picture...or two. It's not every day that I mow the grass! 




Where were the girls you ask?? 

Picking strawberries. Hey, in our house, everyone has to pitch in. It is summer and our yard is in full bloom! 

And Neal was happy in his garden, weeding and thinning and replanting. 
Stop by sometime, who knows, you may find me in the backyard mowing! 


3 comments:

  1. Well aren't you a thoughtful wife! I tried to mow a strip of lawn when Ricardo was doing ours one day.....yeah, lets say it wasn't so easy for me, lol. To make matters worse, it's got a self-propelling action thingy on it! So yeah, let's hope I never have to attempt that again :o) I love all your pictures too, y'all look so cute out there on your homestead! You know Caroline's favorite thing to do outside is pick strawberries - Boy does she love her some strawberries!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that my husband is really appreciative when I do help out like that. This week I mowed while he was at work and he was so surprised when he got home,he just kept thanking me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It actually wasn't long ago that I mowed for the first time. I love it now. Except when it is hot and sticky like it is today.

    Our lawn mower broke a last week and we still haven't gotten a new one. I am going to let my hubby mow this time!

    ReplyDelete